Saturday, September 27, 2008

Newman's Own

Justin is in New York for a week. I cannot even begin to tell you how jealous I am. He got a rush ticket to see Patti in Gypsy, need I say more. Anyway, that means I have to step it up on the EAP blog. I am sure all of the avid readers will miss Justin's more objective approach, but I am not a journalist and I can only write about what moves me. And today that subject is Paul Newman. Perhaps one of the most gorgeous, talented and endearing public figures of the last half century, Mr. Newman pasted away yesterday evening from a long battle with cancer.



Everyone knows by now of course, but I want to add my voice to the memorial of this charismatic figure in American stage and screen history. I mean Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - hello! Butch Cassidy, Paul Newman is not just a man who will be missed, he is a legend. Plus Paul and Joanne had the ultimate relationship, a love for all time. Newman was a phenomenal actor, advocate, social entrepreneur and overall individual.Paul Newman also graduated from my mother's Alma matter Kenyon College in Ohio. On June 1, 2007, Kenyon College announced that Newman had donated $10 million to the school to establish a scholarship fund as part of the college's current $230 million fund-raising campaign. Newman and Woodward were honorary co-chairs of a previous campaign, just one of the many philanthropic causes Newman devoted himself to.

Also a Canadian side note - it was during the filming of Winnipeg in 1969 that Newman first got his taste for auto racing, something which became a sincere hobby for him, and an odd passion that he and I share. Basically, i am saying that Paul Newman and I should have been lovers, if it wasn't for the age difference and the fact that we never met, we would have been meant to be. Rest in Peace Sir, you will be missed, but not forgotten.

No comments: