Friday, November 28, 2008

Patti's Turn and Look



I went to see Gypsy's Wednesday matinee performance last week. Gypsy is one of my favorite musicals of all times, although I had never seen a stage production of the show before. And let me tell you Patti Lupone did not disappoint. I think the NY Times revue said it best when they described her singing as "not always pretty, but always perfect." Lupone definitely rivals Rosalind Russsell as my favorite Mama Rose. Certainly Patti has a much stronger voice, and she manages to make the role totally her own. She is both evil and endearing. Boyd Gains is also wonderful. He balances his Herbie off Lupone's Rose to perfection. The staging and set were well executed, although there was nothing original happening there. Same goes for the choreography which was good, but taken directly from the films and original Broadway production. I thought much of the rest of the cast was strong but not outstanding. I mean it would be hard to outshine Ms. Lupone. Laura Benanti who plays Lousie was very sweet, with a beautiful voice that was showcased in "Little Lamb." Unfortunately "Little Lamb" might be the most irritating song of all times. Leigh Ann Larkin, who plays Danity June has a powerful set of pipes, and she stole the number, "If Momma was Married." Pearce Wegener, Tulsa's understudy, whom I saw, was unfortunately not very strong as a singer or dancer. His number, "All I Need is the Girl," which is one of my favorites was very lackluster. The biggest problem though, wasn't acting, staging, choreography or set. It was the sound. I can't believe that after so many months they have not worked out the sound kinks. Characters came on stage, and even in the fifth row I missed whole lines or parts of lines until the mics picked up. Not Patti's of course her voice carried despite the mic problems, but everyone else was at the mercy of uneven sound.

The only other problem for this show was not onstage, but in the audience. In the first act alone there were three separate cell phone calls, which was extremely irritating for me, and I assume for the actors as well. However, this problem lent itself to one of the most amazing ad-lib moments I have ever seen. During the second act, in one of the most climatic scenes, Mama Rose is finally coming around to the idea that act is dead. Silence falls just as she is about to admit, "they're all washed up," and someone's cell phone began to ring obnoxiously. Well Patti had had enough, she clearly lost her moment and so she turned and glared at the audience, who erupted in cheers and applause. And her following line, "Are we all finished" sent the audience into hysterics again. Even Ms. Benanti couldn't keep it together and she broke up laughing. Patti kept it totally together though. Her gaze was steely and intense. And while it was an amazing moment, and one I will never forget, it is a reminder of how crucial the audience is to the theatre experience. Audiences have a responsibility to the actors. They are so important to each and every performance, and they have a job to do. I can remember seeing Avenue Q in the West End. The audience gave 110%. And when I saw that show again in Toronto, although the production was good it did not have the same effect. So to theatre audiences out there I say be involved, be critical and alert, and be respectful. And for fuck's sake turn off your phone!

No comments: