Monday, July 9, 2012

The BEST shows of the Toronto Fringe (so far)...

Alright darlings I have been on a FRINGE binge and I have some fucking wonderful shows to recommend to you all! It has been such a pleasure seeing so much fresh, passionate theatre on those Toronto stages. How refreshing I must say. Ok so below are my favourite shows so far at the Fringe this year:

1. POMME FRENCH IS FOR APPLE
Written and performed by Liza Paul and Bahia Watson

Not sure if it is because I identify so strongly with being a black woman or not, but this piece of theatre had me roaring, rolling and sobbing with laughter from the opening moment until curtain call. These two actresses, Liza Paul and Bahia Watson are sublime and sparkle like something fierce. All their various characters are polished and the acting is razor sharp. I could rave about this show for hours so please just check these angels out!

Venue 10 – Theatre Passe Muraille, 16 Ryerson Avenue:
July 09 08:45 PM, July 10 04:30 PM, July 12 12:00 PM, July 13 06:15 PM, July 14 01:45 PM

2. SOULO
Written by the Soul Circus Collective, Directed by Tracey Erin Smith

Wow so I just saw SOULO this afternoon and I thought it was absolutely delicious. It was wonderfully warm and fresh, it felt very current, relatable and it was very smart. The three actors which carry the three vignette's Terrence Bryant, DJ Edwards and Marco Bernardi all deliver strong and soulful performances that feel natural and passionate. I can only say that I hope the piece moves on to a larger theatrical run, I'm thinking maybe Buddies in Bad Times? (Brendan Healy, hi!) and receives a longer running time where we can dive deeper into the more poignant, darker parts of their souls. Calling all queers (and everyone;) to the theatre! Check this piece out ya'll!!!

Robert Gill Theatre (214 College Street, 3rd Floor)
July 09 02:30 PM, July 10 06:45 PM
, July 11 04:00 PM, July 12 02:45 PM, July 14 07:00 PM


3. RARE
Written by Judith Thompson
Nine people with Down syndrome collaborated with director Judith Thompson to express their own personal stories of love, loss, frustration, liberation and triumph is this beautiful piece that will have you laughing, crying and cheering throughout. A powerful   show this is a true celebration of the human spirit told in poetry, dance and song. If you are capable of getting a ticket (this is a super HOT show at the Fringe this year) I urge you to do so! Only a few shows left so if you want tickets book in advance or arrive very early.


Venue 1 – Tarragon Mainspace (30 Bridgman Ave.)
July 09 06:15 PM, July 10 08:45 PM, July 13 07:00 PM, July 14 02:15 PM


4. WITH SOMEBODY WHO LOVES ME (A GAY DANSICAL) 
Conceived by Frank Manzo
You know I wasn't expected to be moved by this piece as I thought it was going to be all juice and flash, but I will tell you that I really felt this one. As a yoga teacher I have become more appreciative of the human body and all its capabilities... and this show is a fucking brilliant celebration in the human body. Not only its form (there is lots of sexiness going on here, and I was sure not complaining) but also the human body's ability to impact, to tell a story and to heal. This show is packed full of buoyant, strong, masculine and feminine dance pieces. Also, it is super fun and charming. 
Factory Theatre, room: Mainspace, 125 Bathurst
Jul 9 at 8:30 pm, Jul 10 at 1:15 pm, Jul 11 at 9:15 pm, Jul 13 at 5:45 pm, Jul 14 at 11:30 pm

1 comment:

Frank Manzo said...

Thanks, Justin! I'm glad you enjoyed our dansical!