Monday, October 20, 2008

9 to 5 previews to cheers in LA



9 to 5 the musical based on the hit film, which starred Dolly Parton has opened in previews in LA. I give LA credit, they are really trying to expand the cultural depth of that otherwise vapid city, and theatre previews are a great addition to the LA scene. The show which is slated to make its Broadway debut next year, has received modest acclaim thus far, although most of the reviews acknowledge that the show needs some tweaks before it hits the Great White Way. I am proud to see Stephanie Block receiving the attention she deserves. Torontonians might remember Stephanie because she got her big break here in Wicked. I have known for a while that she had an incredible voice. She also appears on the Pirate Queen original cast album, but it is nice to hear that she had got some serious acting chops as well. I can't wait to see this show when it finally makes it to NY. I will actually suspend my moratorium on movie musicals for this one.

No comments: