Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Frost/Nixon



I just finished reading Frost/Nixon by Peter Morgan. Such a good play, I really enjoyed it, and it made me wish I had seen it during its Broadway run. It surprises me that it didn't run longer. It officially opened as a limited engagement at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre on April 22, 2007 and closed on August 19, 2007, after 137 performances. And I heard recently that Ron Howard is directing a film based on this incredible story. He's not adapting the Morgan script, which is too bad, but understandable. The scope of the play might not translate well on film. I have also heard from some of my Toronto sources that CanStage is planning on staging Frost/Nixon here next season. I am curious to see who's in it, and I will definitely go see it.

For anyone who doesn't know the story of the Frost-Nixon interviews it's a pretty incredible piece of television history. David Frost, British playboy, TV presenter scores the biggest interview, possibly of all times, with Nixon. And he gets the ultimate admission of Nixon's guilt in the Watergate cover-up. It was the first interview Nixon gave after his resignation, and the first time he ever admitted any wrong doing with regards to Watergate. Nixon and his manager Swifty Lazar choose Frost because they were going to make tons of money on the deal, and they figured he wouldn't be hard hitting. I would love to see the original footage, maybe it's on youtube?

No comments: