Thursday, May 5, 2011

Night at the Opera


Many readers my not know that I moonlight at a small tech firm with four of the coolest geeks around. I really enjoy working with the guys at Big Bang, but I don't often get to share my love of theatre, opera or dance much with them. On the rare occasion I do mention a great show or song from a musical I've seen, I get a lot of blank stares and polite murmurs. But a few months back, Cameron one of the guys, asked me for some advice about live performances he could bring his fiancée to. I, of course, jumped at the chance to offer suggestions.

He had a few guidelines; one being price, and the other being that he wanted to see something out of the ordinary, that he would enjoy as much as Crystal, his fiancée. Almost immediately I suggested that they see La Cenerentola, Rossini's version of Cinderella. Cameron is a music lover, so I knew he would appreciate the artistry and music of opera. While Crystal loves fashion and spectacle. Plus it's a love story. Not to mention that they were able to get tickets for less than $25.00 as part of the COC's special ticket pricing for people under thirty. When Cameron told me that neither had seen an opera I knew this would be a perfect night out for them.

A few weeks pasted before the COC's social media Co-ordinator Cecily Carver, emailed me to say that there were tickets available for EAP, if we were interested. Justin and I jumped at the offer. We're very lucky to get to see so much theatre and dance, but getting a chance to see a classic opera like La Cenerentola at the Four Seasons Centre was a treat we would not easily miss.

On the day before of the opera, I happened to mention I was going at the office. And was excited to learn that Cameron and Crystal had also gotten opera tickets for the same performance. I often find going to live theatre, or opera a very solitary experience, since I often go alone. Getting to see Cinderella with not one but three good friends was a welcomed treat.
We all got dressed up and had dinner and really made a big night of it.

In my mind this is one of the most magical things about the opera. The grandeur and spectacle of the opera proceedings sets it apart from any other theatre going experience. Every opera I have ever seen, and La Cenerentola was no different, has been a tremendous event and always reminds me of a different time and place. The transformative power of opera is truly unparalleled.

Of all the opera I have seen, La Cenerentola was fairly average. I enjoyed a lot of the staging elements, and in fact thought the dance ensemble who played the mice were wonderful. They were truly charming, and a clever use of the dance ensemble. I often found myself watching them during some of the lesser recitative. I also really enjoyed that Cinderella, or Angelina as she is known in the opera, is a role for a contralto, which is largely out of fashion these days, in favour of sopranos leads. Angelina is also presented in a more feminist light than popular portrayals of Cinderella. In Rossini's version Angelina gives her diamond bracelet to the Prince rather than losing a slipper, there by empowering herself and choosing her own destiny.

On the other hand I didn't find the score to be as memorable as some of my favourite operas. In fact I think the score of The Barber of Seville is much stronger of the two Rossini works. But that is not a knock to the COC company presentation at all. And the cast sounded wonderful.

La Cenerentola is the perfect introductory opera, especially for younger audiences. There were quite a few young children at the Four Season the night we attended, and not one of them seemed bored or disinterested. If you are looking for an opportunity to introduce kids to opera this is the one to see.

All in all my friends and I had a perfect night out and I think Cameron won major points for his event choice.

La Cenerentola runs on various dates for the rest of May. Click here for dates and ticket information.


No comments: